Friday, January 13, 2012

Positive News for the First Time


I honestly hadn’t thought about the extreme drought of positive information I’d been in since the beginning of this cancer business that started 140 days ago today. Looking back on it all, my family and I have had to endure this inside a constant barrage of negative news.

I didn’t realize that until today, this afternoon, when the UK Markey Cancer Center doctor called with some news regarding a PET scan I had had.

Being so used to bad and worsening news, when I heard the doctors voice on the line, I figured it was going to be bad news again. As it turned out, this time the news was positive. Receiving the news, I realized it was the very first time in this whole ordeal, we have something positive.

A PET Scan I had just after surgery last fall indicated some of the cancer had been left behind. The Markey Center Opinion had been that the chemo probably would not kill it. The call today indicated, after review of several doctors, the anomaly’s in the scan may not be cancer, but simply scare tissue from the surgery. The oncologist on the phone told me not to get overly hopeful but that if that analysis is correct, my chances improve a great deal.

What amazes me most is that, despite this being the first positive news in all of this time, my friends, family and I have never lost faith in healing. With all of the prayers going up all of this time, is it possible that the Devine Forces have intervened and what was once cancer not only inside me, but on film has now become nothing but scare tissue?

I will take the doctors advice and not get my hopes up too far, but I do feel as if a gun held at my head has been lowered. And at the very minimum, I have been granted a reprieve - an ounce of hope coming from the outside of my heart for the first time.

1 comment:

Kevin Miller said...

Excellent to hear, of course Jonathan. Hope is a glorious thing, eh? Oh, 'positive' in your headline has one s