Friday, August 3, 2012

DEPLOYMENT TO THE BATTLE GROUND


Back home and with eleven days to transferee my life up to Pittsburgh probably for most of the summer, again I didn't aggressively jump right in and begin to organize for the long displacement and long convalescences period that was to come with the trip. One of my favorite things to do since cancer is to have a family member drive me around the county looking at the county side. My sister Carrie, Mom, and Peggy Sherry all chip in and provide the luxury for me.

One evening, Mom and I drove out and met the bicycling club as they were preparing for a bike ride. It was good to see everybody. Just as we were leaving, my friend and "brother", Jonathan Arnett rode his bike up to my opened car window and matter-of-factly stated that he had access to an airplane. He said that he would be willing to fly my family and me to Pittsburgh whenever needed. Obviously, this would elevate a great deal of aggregation. Upon hearing his offer, I was certain that we would not take him up on it - it just seemed like far much to ask. We thanked him and ended our outing on that gracious offer and at beautiful dusk.

But as the days ticked by, it was hard for me to imagine taking either an airline to Pittsburgh for the reasons I had to go, or drive either, so I thought more about Jonathan's offer to private fly me up there. I wanted to go to Pittsburgh two days before the surgery, which was a Sunday, and I wanted to go alone - at least in advance of the procedure. I ended up taking Jonathan up on his offer and wow, did it ever work out well. The man who flies's for Jonathan's company; Phillip Cross is one heck of a great pilot. He is also a good man and very easy to admire and respect.

As the days counted down, and I got my "necessaries" bundled up, the Sunday Morning finally came for me to leave. My Mother and my Step Father, Beany (Bubba) Sparks picked me up at my house to take me the four or five miles down to the regional airport. In relatively good health, I was able to manage all of my luggage, but Mom and Beany started to jump in to help anyway. I will never forget, as I was coming down my stairs, allow my suitcase to roll down in front of me, kirthunk, kirthunk… at each step, I became overwhelmed regarding the reasons for my current set of activities (I had actually packed my bags, and I was volunteering to board travel to physical Hell). Thumping down my stairs, I began to tear up, then cry/sob and I began to hyperventilate and nearly instantly passed out on my stairs and the suitcase went crashing down about six steps nearly taking my pour Mother out along the way. Thankfully she was facing me at the time. I laid on the stairs, hyperventilating and only about 5% conscience. Mother rushed up to me. Chopped between several short and shallow breaths, I explained to her that I wasn't sure I could go through with it. She began to cry with me and told me that I had too; that without it, I would not live much longer. Eventually, I gathered my composure and we continued moving my things.

The incident upset my mother so badly, she had to go around the back of my house and finish off a good cry and I am sure, say some prayers as well.

Panic attacks and neurotic breakdowns scratched off the list, we drove the short distance to the local airport where Phillip was waiting, literally beside his plane (A large Cessna with two engines and either five or six passenger seats. Phillip quickly took my things, stowed them away on the plane and then invited me to join him in the cockpit for the flight! I was frightened to do so, and normally I would have declined such perfect view of the activities keeping us airborne, but compared to what I was about to go through, my newfound brevity won through and I took the co-pilots chair. And it completely removed the troubles from my mind.

Phillip did a fine job going over the airplane and flight plan with me - just like a regular airline stewardess. When I got into my co-pilots chair, Phillip showed me the things not to touch, peddles, steering, buttons - etc. He then took his position and began his mandatory checklists and review of the flight plan. The flight would take us from Somerset to Pittsburgh, Allegany County Airport in about an hour and a half. Phillip pointed out an interesting fact; the airstrip at Somerset was lined up nearly perfectly upon the Allegany County airport just outside of Pittsburgh. So he laughingly said that all we had to do is fly a straight line.

Phillip gave me a headset to ware during the flight so I could talk to him and also listen to his communications with various controllers on the ground.

In just a few moments, we were ready to torque up the twin engines and we taxied to our take off point. Turning a few more knobs and pushing a few more buttons, I noticed Phillip grab the throttle and began to pull it back. Watching him perform this task gave me anxiety, and the engines began to roar beyond what I was expecting. Releasing the plane to "do its stuff", it accelerated down the runway, until eventually, the craft left the ground. We were on our way - to what, who knew, but I was going to enjoy the flight no matter what.

We climbed fast, and looking out of the side window, I tried to identify ground features. Higher and higher we went until we were about the thin veneer of clouds. The chatter between Phillip and various ground controllers was very interesting. It became apparent that our call sign was Hotel-Whisky.

As we approached Allegany airport, Phillip got his landing assignments, flew around the place, lined up on he runway, and made a prefect landing. I could even tell when the plane touched down. Humorously, Phillip said, "Well, I've successfully landed twice now"! Funny.

From the airport, Phillip had a car arranged to drive me into Pittsburgh were I was to stay again at the Family House - a place for Patients and their caregivers. Phillip helped me unload my luggage and left to return to Somerset in an attempt to beat some incoming weather.

ARRIVAL UPON THE BATTLE GROUND

I went into the Family House and got my room, and unpacked. I was a little lonely, but I had desired to arrive two days in advance of the procedure for a couple of reasons. I wanted to have a day, or at least an afternoon to familiarize with Pittsburgh and relax upon the new fighting ground. The next day, the day before the surgery was to be a preparatory day (colon cleanse).

As soon as I had gotten to my room, I laid down and slept for a few hours. Upon waking up, I unpacked my cloths and things, and then went out (on foot) to find some dinner and a beer. That was nice. The architecture on the UP campus is incredible, and there is one stone tower called the Tower of Knowledge. As I wondered the vast lawns surrounded the huge stone tower, and I noticed two elder ladies with binoculars trained intently on the top of the high tower. I casually asked, "is there somebody up there", thinking maybe I was going to get to see my first BASE jumper.
"We are bird watching", of the women, said shortly.
"Oh, I love birds", I injected.
One of the women annoyingly lowered her looking glasses, and said
"We are studying Urban Penguin Falcons", she said, replacing her binoculars over her eyes.
"Are you all from a local birding club?" I asked, effectively killing all hints of my welcome in their presents. No reply came. So I bid them fair well and took up my way.

Back at the Family House (hence forth called "Home") I wrote in my journal.

The Family House had a wonderfully large front porch, fully furnished where residents could sit and read, or just watch people passing by. I had brought some sewing (I like to make blankets) so I sat out there and sewed a little bit. At sundown, I wanted to go sit at a bar, and drink a couple of beers, so the ladies in the reception room of the House told me where to go. It was just down the street. I took my journal and wrote in right at the bar and drank the last couple of beers for an unknown time. I love the inhabitants of such places whom are mostly regulars from the local blocks. Everybody knew everybody, and even though some people would consider the place to be too rough, I've always loved those places and I have never once had any trouble. I have always been accepted and I have always had wonderful conversations with the other patrons.

Upon arriving home, I quickly feel asleep for the evening.

The next day, Monday, Mother and Beany arrived at about 4 PM, having driven 450 miles. By the time they arrived, it was time for me to start my colon prep, and I won't go into the details of that process except to say it involves several hours of remaining in the proximity of a toilet. Along with the prep activity came the anxiety of my purposes of being in Pittsburgh. The process focused my attention back upon the battle to come, which I had been about to totally eliminate from my mind since I boarded the flight with Phillip the day before.

By ten PM it seemed as though the prep was done, so I joined Mother and Beany on the front porch for a while.

The hospital wanted us to arrive at the facility at 5:30 AM to begin the procedures. Despite my trepidations over the things to come the next morning, I slept fairly well.

To be continued

Part 3
THE BATTLE OF PITTSBURGH
FIRST DAY OF THE FIGHTING

No comments: