Monday, November 14, 2011

The wrens tea kettle

Sitting by a campfire the other day, watching the November Clouds sail-white though a crystalline blue sky, from the nearby woods, I heard the faint but distinct “teakettle” of a wren. I listened a while – as it moved, unseen to me from place to place in the woods…. And I thought to myself, if time did not flow, that beautiful woodland song wouldn’t be possible.

At times, especially in these days of illness and uncertainty, I think about time a great deal. I think about it a great many ways – everyway possible, I suppose. I think about my future; whether I have one past the next couple of years and if so, what am I suppose to do with myself for the rest of my life (as a cancer survivor). I think about the past… the distant past when I was a tot, living on busy street in the downtown of our hometown. Since the cancer diagnosis, the memories of my past come flooding into my mind with great frequency and fidelity.

So many emotions I have now – some settled some not.

The wren song; that “teakettle, teakettle, teakettle…. “ reminds me that our lives upon and within this “nature” is beautiful at some deeply fundamental level. It also reminds me time does flow moment by moment into the future years; we are all time travelers.

I am at times, consumed by the nature of time.

No comments: